Dear First-Time Freshmen,
Welcome to CSUN Student Housing!
We are excited to have you become a part of a community that promotes academic success, individual development, and conscientious citizenship among residents. As an incoming first-year residential student to one of our Living Learning Communities or Themed Living Communities, you are invited to participate in our annual G.R.E.A.T. Escape early move in experience. G.R.E.A.T. Escape will be taking place Monday, August 20, 2018 to Friday, August 24, 2018.
WHAT IS G.R.E.A.T. ESCAPE?
G.R.E.A.T. Escape is a week-long early move in program created to help acclimate first year students to the college environment. During G.R.E.A.T. Escape, you will be participating in multiple sessions, activities, and programs that are geared towards helping you succeed in your college journey. During the program, you will become acquainted with the CSUN Housing community and will acquire lifelong skills, social connections, and resources.
Our focus during this program is to help influence your transition to college, and prepare you with tools for success for when you reach challenges. Transitioning to CSUN can be tough for many, and we want you to be prepared for when issues arise. Getting you familiar with this new environment will allow you to have a more engaging and interactive college experience.
Be Proud. Be You. Belong
WHAT YOU GET OUT OF G.R.E.A.T. ESCAPE
- Early move-in:
- By participating in G.R.E.A.T. Escape, you and your roommates will move-in a week earlier than the rest of your peers, and get to work on getting to know the CSUN community and tools for success.
- Social Connections
- You will be interacting with other first-time freshmen that have similar interests. This will be an opportunity for you to build a community within CSUN Student Housing.
- Lifelong Skills:
- We have some valuable and fun workshops prepared for you, covering key areas of knowledge that you will need to succeed. This includes: time/stress/financial management, asking for help, campus resources and much more!
- Learning Tools
- Tips and Tricks to achieving your academic/personal/leadership goals
- Campus and Housing Resources
- Student panels
- Fellow residents and student leaders will attend student panels that will be open for any questions that you may have as a first-time freshman.
We look forward to seeing you on August 20th!
If you meet the requirements and plan to attend, fill out the online form below and let us know you’re coming!
How do I know if I’m eligible to come to G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
Easy! Follow these steps! You must check yes to all of them:
Checklist to know if you’re eligible to attend G.R.E.A.T. Escape
*Must Check “Yes” to All
- Are you a First-Time Freshman (FTF)?
- First-Time Freshman A first-time freshman is a student who has earned no college credit after the summer immediately following high school graduation.
- Have you received confirmation of your housing space?
- Is your confirmed space in one of the following communities:
- Building 2 (Carragen Hall)= Health and Wellness LLC
- Building 3 (Woodruff Hall)= Mata+More TLC
- Building 4 (Burdock Hall)= Music LLC
- Building 6 (Pacific Willow Hall)= Lighthouse LLC
- Building 7 (Torrey Pine Hall)= VOICE TLC & Matasphere TLC
- Building 9 (Pinon Hall)= Living Above the Influence TLC
- Building 11 (Lupin Hall)= Honors LLC and Engineering and Computer Science LLC
- Building 14 (Rose Crown Hall)= Cinema Television Arts (CTVA) LLC
- Building 16 (Mariposa Hall)= Mata+Explore
*Please note that some of the LLCs and TLCs are on specific floors of the respective building. You should have received email confirmation regarding your acceptance to the LLC and TLC.
If you answered yes to all three questions, CONGRATULATIONS, you are eligible to participate in G.R.E.A.T. Escape!
I received information from CSUN stating that I need to be at their campus orientation, but that requires me to come back-and-forth to campus? Do I have to go to both orientations?
For students participating in G.R.E.A.T. Escape, we work with Office of Student Involvement and Development to streamline these requirements! Therefore, you do not need to attend their campus orientation on the date they provide.
Students attending G.R.E.A.T. Escape will meet on campus on Friday, August 24th, to attend their required First-Time Freshman Orientation! If you have any questions, please contact Matthew Soto at email@example.com.
When is move-in for G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
Move-in for the 2017 G.R.E.A.T. Escape orientation is Monday, August 20th between 9AM-1PM! When you arrive to Student Housing, staff will be available to guide you to your check-in location.
I’m a parent, guardian, or loved one, of the student participating in G.R.E.A.T. Escape, but I anticipate staying in the area for a night or two. What are my options?
We, in Student Housing and Conference Services, do offer Guest Housing!
California State University, Northridge offers several hotel-style guest housing suites at a daily rate. The guest suites offer a wide range of amenities, including the convenience of being within walking distance of classrooms, laboratories, administrative offices and other campus facilities.
Please visit https://www.csun.edu/housing/guest-housing for more information regarding availability and rates.
Additionally, we would like to note, while we love family and friend support during this momentous occasion, we do recommend and require your student(s) to be on-campus and present during the events and sessions we offer.
Therefore, we discourage student(s) to leave during the day while sessions and events are occurring.
When will we get the schedule for G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
All students will receive a schedule of the events during check-in! If you require additional services or means of reading the materials shown, please email Matt Soto at firstname.lastname@example.org
I and/or my student are deaf/hard of hearing. Will there be services available?
Yes! Absolutely! In Student Housing, we have three professional staff interpreters who will be present at all necessary sessions to interpret for any parent or student in need of such services.
If you require these services, please email Matt Soto at email@example.com
I’m a new transfer student to CSUN, can I come to G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
Unfortunately, no. We currently only offer this early move in program to first-time freshmen.
Do I have to pay for G.R.E.A.T. Escape?
Every student who is contracted into a living space within a LLC and TLC, is charged a one-time $40 fee to participate in G.R.E.A.T. Escape!